Qualifying for elections begins Wednesday, May 23, at 9 a.m., and ends Friday, May 25, at 12 p.m. Based on the number of candidates who have already announced their intentions to run, Upson County voters will have a wide variety to choose from on Primary Tuesday, July 31.
There are 10 county and four Board of Education seats up for grabs in this election. They are: Clerk of Superior Court, Probate Judge, Sheriff, Tax Commissioner, Chief Magistrate, Coroner, County Surveyor, Commission Chair, District 1 Commissioner, District 2 Commissioner, and Board of Education Districts 1, 3, 5, and 7. To date, there are contested races for at least four of the 14 posts.
Following is a listing, as of today, May 22, 2012, of each post, the qualifying fee, the incumbent, and who, if any, have announced their intention to run. The posts are divided into Primary and Non-Partisan sections. Candidates in Primary races will have to declare as a candidate in a specific political party and a candidate from each party will be chosen on Primary Tuesday, with the General Election on November 5, 2012 deciding the outcome. The winners of Non-Partisan races will be chosen in the Primary Election.
1. Clerk of Superior Court; Fee - $1,491.65; Incumbent – Teresa Harper.
2. Sheriff; Fee - $1,779.86; Incumbent – Don Peacock; Candidates – Sam Baity, Dan Kilgore, Glenn Collins, Davy Storey, Jeffery Little, and Nason Blackwell
3. Tax Commissioner; Fee - $1,491.65; Incumbent – J. Berry Cook
4. Coroner; Fee - $433.50; Incumbent – James George
5. County Surveyor; Fee - $35; Incumbent – Vacant
6. Commission Chair; Fee - $360; Incumbent – Maurice Raines; Candidates – Maurice Raines
7. Commission District 1; Fee - $270; Incumbent – Christopher Biggs; Candidates: George Carriker and Lorenzo Wilder
8. Commission District 2; Fee - $270; Incumbent – Steve Hudson
1. Probate Judge; Fee - $1,491.65; Incumbent – Danielle McRae; Candidates – Danielle McRae, Marc Ellington, Harry J. (Joey) Thiel, and T. Larry Dawson
2. Chief Magistrate; Fee - $1,491.65; Incumbent – Danny Bentley; Candidates – Danny Bentley and Terry Salter
3. Board of Education District 1; Non-Partisan: Fee - $36; Incumbent – Angie McGill
4. Board of Education District 3; Non-Partisan; Fee - $36; Incumbent – Miriam Elsey
5. Board of Education District 5; Non-Partisan; Fee - $36; Incumbent – Leon Fowler
6. Board of Education District 7; Non-Partisan; Fee - $35; Incumbent – Terrell Jackson