While researching and writing my book on R.E. Lee football history I ran across some interesting facts and other tidbits that could serve as “trivia” about the Rebel football program. I’ll ask a few questions here and you try to come up with the answers. I know that this column is mainly for the old-timers but, hey, it can be fun for everyone. Give it a shot!
(1) In what year and against what opponent did Coach Jim Cavan film the game for for the first time for use in future coaching considerations?
(2) In 1965 Lee was scheduled to play a school from Tennessee in the final game of the regular season, but that game conflicted with the Region 4AAA playoff game with Avondale. What was the name of that Tennessee high school?
(3) In 1955 a single Lee running back scored the last eight touchdowns of their season. Who was that running back?
(4) How many touchdowns did Lee score in their entire 1959 season?
(5) In what year did R.E. Lee make it’s first appearance in the state playoffs?
(6) Coach Jim Cavan’s 1962 Lee team finished with a 6-2-2 record even though they gave up only 40 points for the entire 10-game season. How many opponents did Lee shut out in 1962?
(7) Against what school did Coach Jim Cavan record his most victories as coach at R.E. Lee?
(8) Against what schools did Coach Tommy Perdue record his most victories as coach at R.E. Lee?
(9) Who was the only Lee runner to lead the Rebels in rushing for three consecutive seasons?
(10) Who was the only Lee quarterback to lead the Rebels in passing for four consecutive seasons?
(11) In what year and against what school did R.E. Lee play in its first overtime game?
(12) In 1965 Coach Jim Cavan’s Rebels played against their first game against an integrated team. What was the name of the school?
(13) Lee always had trouble winning at Avondale Stadium. They won their first game there in 1963 but it wasn’t against Avondale. Who was the opponent?
(14) Who was the only Lee player to win the Most Valuable Player Award in two seasons?
(15) How many consecutive homecoming games did R.E. Lee win including their final 1991 season?
(1) Coach Cavan filmed the first game at Lee in 1954 against Benedictine.
(2) Lee was scheduled to play Carter High School of Strawberry Plains, Tennessee on the same night that they were set to play Avondale for the region title. Carter played the Lee B-team instead and beat the B’s 26-0.
(3) Paul Wood scored Lee’s final eight TDs of the 1955 season.
(4) Lee scored only seven touchdowns in the entire 1959 season and Jimmy Dominick scored five of those.
(5) Lee first played in the state playoffs in 1961 against Murphy High School.
(6) Lee shut out six opponents in the 10-game 1962 season.
(7) Cavan won 13 games against Forest Park. His record against the Panthers was
(8) Coach Perdue won 12 games against Jackson (12-2-0), Lamar County (12-3-0) and Manchester (12-5-0).
(9) Ronnie Paul led the Rebels in rushing for the 1975-76-77 seasons.
(10) Mike Cavan led the Rebels in passing for the 1963-64-65-66 seasons.
(11) Lee played in its first overtime game in 1974 against Griffin. Griffin won 13-7.
(12) The first integrated school that Lee played against was Groves High School of Savannah.
(13) Lee’s first-ever win at Avondale Stadium came against Southwest DeKalb High School in 1963. The score was 19-7.
(14) Brent Norris won MVP Awards in both 1967 and 1968.
(15) Lee won its final 15 Homecoming Games, with its last homecoming loss being to Griffin in 1976 by a 19-12 score.
I hope you did well on the quiz.