A winter storm warning by the National Weather service is now in effect for Troup County from 10 a.m. Tuesday to 1 p.m. Wednesday. The winter storm watch has been discontinued. The Troup County School System has not issued a school closure advisory as of 5:30 p.m..The following is a statement from the National Weather Service:
The National Weather Service in Peachtree City has issued a
Winter Storm Warning for snow… sleet and freezing rain… which is in
effect from 10 am Tuesday to 1 p.m. Wednesday. The Winter Storm
Watch is no longer in effect.
* Locations… for much of central Georgia.
* Hazard types… a wintry mix of snow… sleet and freezing rain.
* Accumulations… snow accumulations of one to three inches with
locally higher amounts. Sleet accumulations of up to half an
inch. A couple of hundredths of ice.
* Timing… wintry precipitation is expected to begin late
Tuesday and could last through the early Wednesday.
The heaviest precipitation will be Tuesday night.
* Impacts… snow and ice covered roads will make travel difficult
or impossible beginning Tuesday afternoon lasting through
Wednesday morning. Light icing will make sidewalks and walkways
* Winds… northeast 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
* Temperatures… high temperatures are expected to occur early
Tuesday morning with values falling through the 30s into the
upper 20s in the afternoon. Overnight Tuesday temperatures will
range from the upper teens to around 20. High temperatures on
Wednesday are expected in the middle 30s..with values finally
rising above freezing during the early afternoon.
A Winter Storm Warning for snow… sleet and freezing rain means
severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. The
amount of snow that is forecast will make travel dangerous. Only
travel in an emergency. If you must travel… keep an extra
flashlight… food… and water in your vehicle in case of an
Please check back with lagrangenews.com for further updates.